The following are recommended guidelines for post-surgical care. There are many different procedures that our doctors perform that require different post-operative care. If you are uncertain of the specific post-operative directions given to you, please do not hesitate to contact our office.
To Reduce Post-Operative Pain:
- If you have been given a post-operative medication, take as directed.
- Ice to operative site 20-30 minutes / 1-2 hours for the first 3-5 days.
- Elevate extremity above your heart as much as possible for the first 3-5 days.
- Maintain your bandage clean and dry as directed. If you’re unsure, maintain clean and dry and call the office for further directions.
- If your dressing does any of the following, call your doctor immediately:
- Gets wet
- Falls off
- Bleeds through with wet blood (slight bleeding may occur and is expected).
Call Your Doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Excessive bleeding, drainage or redness
- Fever of 100 degrees or greater
- Pain, numbness and tingling not relieved with pain medication.
In any event, if there are any questions or concerns regarding your surgery that you are unsure of, please do not hesitate to contact our office / doctor directly.