Spring/summer marks a busy time for pedicurists. Unfortunately, not all pedicure facilities offer clean and proper foot care and infections and other foot ailments may arise. Michigan Foot and Ankle Center, P.C. would like to share the following advice for individuals deciding on a location to receive a pedicure:
- Make sure that the instruments used are clean and sterilized.
- Make sure foot tubs or basins are drained after performing a pedicure to get rid of all the bacteria present.
- Make sure the technician’s hands are clean.
- If you are diabetic, pedicures are not advised. Visit your podiatrist before receiving a pedicure to identify any potential risks.
- Do not allow aggressive cleaning. Nails should be cut straight with slightly rounded edges.bleeding of calluses occurs, see your podiatrist.
- Discolored or sickly nails should be treated by your podiatrist.
Since polish hides the nails from the sun and can foster fungus, you may wish to limit the use of polish to special occasions. However, keeping your feet clean,trimmed and skin moisturized for summer sandal wearing is recommended.
The doctors and staff at Michigan Foot and Ankle Center, P.C. are available to answer your foot and ankle questions and concerns.
Convenient appointments may be made by calling our offices in Livonia 734.591.6612 and Southfield 248.353.9300.